Vegetarian Black Bean Soup
- 1 1/2 cups dried black beans, rinsed and drained
- 8 cups water
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups no-salt-added vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Lime wedges
- Light sour cream (optional)
- Combine beans and the water.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- Drain and rinse beans.
- In a slow cooker combine beans, onion, chile pepper, garlic, broth, cumin, chili powder, and salt.
- Cover and cook on low for 9 to 10 hours or on high for 4 1/2 to 5 hours.
- Using a potato masher, coarsely mash the beans.
- Top each serving with cilantro and serve with lime wedges for squeezing.
- Top each serving with sour cream.