- 4 medium yellow onions, cut into wedges
- 4 medium carrots
- 3 stalks celery with leaves
- 2 medium parsnips or carrots
- 2 medium potatoes
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 pound fresh button mushrooms
- 8 cups water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried dill, basil, rosemary, or marjoram, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns or 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Cut carrots, celery, parsnips, and potatoes into 2-inch pieces.
- Put everything in a Dutch oven and bring to boiling.
- Reduce heat.
- Simmer, covered, for 2 hours.
- Strain stock into a bowl through two layers of cheesecloth.
- Discard vegetables and seasonings.
- Cover and chill for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 6 months.