Vegetable Stew With Parmesan Toast
- 2 14.5-ounce cans vegetable broth
- 1 15- to 16-ounce can navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15- to 16-ounce can cannellini (white kidney) beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15- to 16-ounce can butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 medium leeks, sliced
- 4 carrots, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 2 medium turnips, peeled and diced
- 2 cups sliced celery
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 16 slices baguette-style French bread
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 14.5-ounce can fire-roasted diced tomatoes or diced tomatoes, drained
- In a slow cooker stir together all ingredients up to the French bread above.
- Cover and cook on low for 10 to 11 hours or on high for 5 to 5 1/2 hours.
- For Parmesan toast, preheat oven to 400 F.
- Brush baguette slices with oil.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Place on a baking sheet.
- Bake 7 minutes.
- Discard bay leaves.
- Stir drained tomatoes into bean mixture in cooker.
- Serve stew with Parmesan toast.