Turkey Frame Soup
- 1 meaty turkey frame
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup dried tomatoes (not oil-packed), cut into thin strips
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cups sliced or cubed vegetables
- 1 1/2 cups dried high-fiber or whole wheat rotini or penne pasta
- 1 15-ounce can Great Northern or cannellini (white kidney) beans, rinsed and drained
- Break turkey frame or cut in half with kitchen shears.
- Place in a pot.
- Add the water, broth, onion, garlic, and salt and simmer, covered, for 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove turkey frame from pot and chop meat from bones.
- Measure enough turkey to equal 2 cups.
- Strain broth.
- Skim off fat and return broth to pot.
- Stir in tomatoes, Italian seasoning, pepper and vegetables.
- Return to boiling, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Add pasta and simmer, uncovered, for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in turkey and beans.
- Heat through.