Tomato, Mozzarella, And Bread Salad
- 1/2 pound Italian or French bread
- 4 medium tomatoes
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- Cut the bread crosswise into slices 1 inch thick.
- Put them on a baking sheet and toast in the oven, turning once or twice, until they are crisp and golden, 15 minutes.
- Let cool and store, tightly covered, for up to 2 days.
- While the bread is toasting, core and roughly chop the tomatoes and put them and their juices in a bowl.
- Add the mozzarella, oil, and vinegar; sprinkle with salt and lots of pepper and toss several times to combine well.
- Fill a bowl with water, add the toasted bread, and soak until the pieces start to absorb some water and soften, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Squeeze the water out of the croutons and crumble them into the salad.
- Toss to combine the ingredients and let the salad sit for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Toss with the basil, taste and adjust the seasoning, and serve.