- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 medium tomatoes (2 pounds), peeled and quartered, or two 14.5-ounce cans diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cups strong brewed coffee
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Few dashes bottled hot pepper sauce
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- In a saucepan cook onion, celery, and carrot in hot butter over medium heat 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add remaining ingredients except whipping cream and simmer, covered, for 20 to 25 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
- Transfer tomato mixture, half at a time, to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Return pureed mixture to saucepan.
- Stir in 1/4 cup of the whipping cream.
- Heat through.
- In a bowl beat remaining whipping cream with an electric mixer on low speed just until soft peaks form.
- Spoon some of the whipped cream on each serving.