Tofu-Basil Endive Leaves
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, finely diced
- 7 ounces firm tofu, drained and crumbled
- 3/4 cup cooked basmati white rice, cooled to room temperature
- 1 teaspoon red chile flakes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 medium Roma tomato, seeded and finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 10 large basil leaves, finely chopped
- 16 endive leaves
- In a nonstick skillet over medium-low heat, toast the pine nuts, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Transfer the pine nuts to a plate and set aside to cool.
- Wipe the pan.
- In the same skillet over medium-high heat, warm the oil.
- Once the oil begins to shimmer, add the onion, spread it in an even layer in the pan, and cook for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the tofu, followed by the rice and red chile flakes.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the salt and tomato.
- Remove from the heat and let the mixture cool for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, basil leaves, and toasted pine nuts.
- To serve, arrange the endive leaves cup-side up on a plate and divide the cooled tofu mixture among them.