- 1 1/2 pounds boneless chuck steak, cut into 1-inch chunks, or preground beef
- 1/2 small white onion, cut into chunks, optional
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 ounces cheddar cheese, grated or thinly sliced, optional
- Hamburger buns, hard rolls, or English muffin, toasted, optional
- Sliced onion
- Prepare a grill or turn on the broiler; medium-high and the rack 4 inches from the heat source.
- Put a large ovenproof skillet on the rack 10 minutes before ready to cook.
- To make your own ground beef, put the meat, onion, and a generous sprinkle of salt and pepper into a food processor and pulse until coarsely ground - finer than roughly chopped, but not much - this will take only a few pulses.
- Mince the onion and fold it into the meat with a generous sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- Handling the ground beef mixture as little as possible, lightly shape the meat into 4 large or 6 small burgers.
- Put the burgers on the hot grill or under the broiler and cook, undisturbed, until they release easily, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Turn and cook the other side the same way, topping with the cheese.
- Check for doneness frequently.
- For medium-rare, figure 3 more minutes.
- Serve on buns, topped as desired.