Thai Shrimp Soup
- 12 ounces fresh or frozen peeled and deveined shrimp
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 3/4 cups water
- 2 lemongrass stalks (white part only), cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 2 jalapeno peppers, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 1 cup stemmed and sliced shiitake and/or button mushrooms or 1/2 of a 15-ounce can whole straw mushrooms, drained
- 1 cup chopped red sweet pepper
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons bottled fish sauce
- 1/4 cup slivered basil
- Thaw shrimp, if frozen.
- Rinse shrimp and pat dry.
- In a saucepan combine broth and the water.
- Bring to boiling.
- Add lemongrass and chile peppers.
- Return to boiling, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Remove lemongrass and chile peppers.
- Stir remaining ingredients except basil into liquid in saucepan.
- Simmer, covered, for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add shrimp and cook, covered, for 2 to 4 minutes.
- Sprinkle each serving with basil.