Thai Chicken Soup
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups bias-sliced carrot
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons grated ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks lemongrass, cut into 1-inch pieces, or 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 15-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 medium red, yellow, and/or green sweet pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 4-ounce cans straw or button mushrooms, drained
- 1/4 cup snipped cilantro
- 1/3 cup chopped roasted peanuts
- In a slow cooker combine chicken, broth, carrot, onion, ginger, garlic, lemongrass, and red pepper flakes.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 7 hours or on high for 3 to 3 1/2 hours.
- If necessary, skim fat.
- Stir coconut milk, sweet pepper, mushrooms, and cilantro into chicken mixture.
- Let stand 5 to 10 minutes.
- Discard lemongrass.
- Sprinkle each serving with peanuts.