Tex-Mex Scalloped Potato And Carrot Dinner
- 1 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 1/2 tsp salt, divided
- 28 ounces canned crushed tomatoes
- 28 ounces canned diced tomatoes, drained
- 15 ounces canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 1/2 pounds russet potatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 16 ounces bagged crinkle-cut carrot chips
- 12 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- Cook ground beef and 1/2 tsp of the salt over medium-high heat until cooked through.
- Drain fat.
- Stir in 1 tsp of salt, crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, black beans, bell pepper, chili powder, garlic powder and black pepper to taste.
- Put 1 cup of the mixture into a slow cooker.
- Add one quarter of the potatoes in a single over-lapping layer.
- Add a carrot chip in between each potato slice.
- Top with 2 cups mixture and then 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Add a second layer of potatoes and carrots, 2 cups mixture and 3/4 cup of cheese.
- Repeat until there are 4 layers of potatoes, finishing off all remaining sauce and cheese.
- Cook in the slow cooker on high for 4 hours.
- Discard any liquid that rises to the top.
- Let sit with the lid open for 15 minutes.
- Serve with slotted spoon.
- Top servings with the spring onions.