Texas Bowls O Red Chili
- 3 pounds boneless beef chuck roast, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 cups chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 3 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 14-ounce can beef broth
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- Chopped onion (optional)
- Fresh oregano (optional)
- Sprinkle beef with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and 1/4 teaspoon of the black pepper.
- In a Dutch oven heat oil.
- Add beef, one-third at a time and cook until brown.
- Remove beef, reserving drippings in pan, and adding more oil, if necessary.
- Add 4 cups chopped onion to drippings and cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes.
- Stir in chili powder, cornmeal, garlic, cumin, oregano, and cayenne pepper.
- Cook for 30 seconds.
- Stir in beef, broth, water, brown sugar, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.
- Simmer, covered, for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Top each serving with additional chopped onion and fresh oregano.