- 1/2 cup medium- or coarse-grind bulgur
- 1 1/4 cups boiling water
- 1/3 cup olive oil, or more as needed
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, or more to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups chopped fresh parsley leaves and small stems
- 1 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 4 medium tomatoes, cored, seeded, and chopped
- Put the bulgur in a bowl with a pinch of salt, add the boiling water, and stir once.
- Let sit until tender but not mushy, 10 to 20 minutes depending on the grind.
- If any water remains, put the bulgur in a strainer and press down on the grains with the back of a large spoon to remove as much of the water as possible.
- Return the bulgur to the bowl and add the oil, lemon juice, and a sprinkle of pepper.
- Make the salad, cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.
- When ready to serve, add the parsley, mint, scallions, and tomatoes and toss.
- Taste, adjust the seasoning, adding more olive oil or lemon juice, and serve.