Sweet Potato Vichyssoise
- 2 cups sliced leek (6 medium) or chopped onion (4 medium)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups cubed, peeled potato
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups cubed, peeled sweet potato
- 1 cup apple cider or apple juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch ground white pepper
- 2 1/2 cups half-and-half, light cream, or whole milk
- Sour cream (optional)
- Snipped chives (optional)
- In a Dutch oven cook leek in hot butter until tender.
- Stir in remaining ingredients except half-and-half, sour cream and chives.
- Simmer, covered, for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, process until smooth.
- Transfer to a bowl.
- Stir half-and-half into potato mixture.
- If necessary, add more half-and-half to reach desired consistency.
- Chill for at least 4 hours.
- Serve with sour cream and chives.