Sweet Potato Soup With Toasted Pecans
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 1/2 cup finely chopped leek
- 1/3 cup chopped orange or yellow sweet pepper
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 14-ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled, halved lengthwise, and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 small potato (4 ounces), peeled, halved lengthwise, and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1/3 cup dry white wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- In a saucepan heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add carrot, leek, sweet pepper, onion, and garlic and cook 5 minutes or just until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add remaining ingredients except pecans and simmer, covered, for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Discard the bay leaf.
- Remove from heat.
- Cool soup slightly.
- Transfer soup, half at a time, to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Return pureed soup to saucepan.
- Heat through.
- Sprinkle each serving with toasted pecans.