Sweet Potato Fritters
- About 1 pound sweet potatoes
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour, or more as needed
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- Heat the oven to 200 F.
- Line an ovenproof plate or baking sheet with paper towels.
- Peel and grate the sweet potatoes and squeeze to get 3 packed cups; save the rest for later.
- Combine the grated sweet potato, flour, cornmeal, onion, egg, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper and mix well.
- If the mixture looks too liquid, add more flour, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Put 2 inches of oil in a pot over medium heat.
- When the oil is hot, drop spoonfuls of the sweet potato mixture into the pot.
- Cook, turning them with tongs or a slotted spoon as necessary so they brown on all sides, until they are cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Transfer the finished fritters to the paper towel-lined plate and put it in the oven to keep warm while making the rest.
- Serve hot or at room temperature, with more salt and pepper.