Sweet Potato-Corn Chowder
- 12 ounces andouille, kielbasa, or smoked pork sausage, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (6 cloves)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Cajun or Creole seasoning
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 16-ounce package frozen whole-kernel corn or 3 cups sweet corn kernels
- 2 cups 1/2-inch cubes peeled sweet potato (2 small)
- 12 ounces skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a Dutch oven brown sausage over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add onion, celery, and garlic and cook and stir for 5 minutes.
- Stir in flour, cumin, chili powder, and Cajun seasoning.
- Cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Stir in broth.
- Bring to boiling.
- Add frozen corn, sweet potato, and chicken.
- Return to boiling, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Stir in whipping cream and pepper.
- Heat through.