Sweet Potato And Barley Chili
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can red beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 14.5-ounce can chicken broth
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup chopped red sweet pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup regular barley
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Snipped cilantro (optional)
- Lime wedges (optional)
- In a slow cooker combine all non-optional ingredients.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 7 hours or on high for 3 to 3 1/2 hours.
- Top each serving with cilantro and serve with lime wedges.