Sweet Potato And Apple Soup
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 onions, diced
- 6 cups chicken stock, plus more if necessary
- 4 Gala, Fuji or Red Delicious apples, peeled and diced
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 cup coconut milk beverage
- salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Grease a baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, toss the sweet potato with 2 tbsp of the oil and the salt.
- Spread out on the baking sheet.
- Roast for 15 to 20 minutes, or until potatoes are fork-tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot over medium heat, add the remaining 2 tbsp oil as well as the garlic, carrots and onions.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until onions are translucent and carrot is crisp-tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken stock, then add the sweet potatoes, apples, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger.
- Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until apples are tender.
- Remove from the heat and, using an immersion blender or working in batches in a blender, puree the soup until smooth.
- Add additional stock for a thinner soup.
- Return the soup to the pot and stir in the coconut milk beverage.
- Bring to a simmer over low heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Season to taste.