- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 pound button mushrooms
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oven to 400 F.
- Grease a baking sheet with 2 tablespoons of the oil.
- Trim off the bottoms of the mushroom stems.
- Pull on the stems to separate them, being careful to leave the caps intact.
- Chop the stems and combine them in a bowl with the egg, bread crumbs, cheese, parsley, garlic, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- Stir the remaining oil into the mixture and fluff.
- Stuff the mushroom caps with the bread crumb mixture, then put them stuffed side up on the baking sheet.
- Bake until the stuffing is browned and crisp on top, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Let cool, then serve, warm or at room temperature, on toothpicks or with napkins.