Stir-Fried Chicken With Broccoli
- 1 pound broccoli
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon grated or minced fresh ginger
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 1/2 cup water, chicken stock, or dry white wine
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar, optional
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Trim the broccoli and cut it into 1- to 2-inch pieces.
- Make sure the garlic, ginger, and onion are ready in advance, as well as the liquid.
- Blot the chicken dry with paper towels and cut it into bite-sized chunks roughly the same size.
- Put 2 tablespoons of the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- When hot, add the chicken, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and stir it once, then let it sit until it starts to sizzle and brown before stirring again, at least 1 minute.
- Scatter the garlic, ginger, and onion on top.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken has lost its pink color and the vegetables are soft, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove everything from the pan.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil to the pan, swirl it, then add the broccoli right away and raise the heat to high.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until the broccoli starts to char in some spots and turns bright green, 1 or 2 minutes.
- Add 1/4 cup of the water scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Broccoli should be just tender but not at all mushy.
- If not, keep cooking for another minute or two.
- Return the chicken mixture to the pan and toss once or twice.
- Add the sugar, the soy sauce, and the remaining 1/4 cup water if the mixture looks dry; toss again.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning and serve.