Split Pea Soup
- 2 3/4 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups dry split peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds meaty smoked pork hocks or one 1- to 1 1/2-pound meaty ham bone
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram, crushed
- Pinch ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- Combine all ingredients except chopped vegetables.
- Simmer, covered, for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Remove pork hocks.
- When cool enough to handle, cut meat off bones.
- Discard bones.
- Coarsely chop meat.
- Return meat to saucepan.
- Stir in carrot, celery, and onion.
- Return to boiling, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20 to 30 minutes more.
- Discard bay leaf.