Spicy Venison Stew
- 1 pound boneless venison leg or shoulder or boneless beef chuck roast, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 14-ounce can beef broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano, crushed
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 ounces Anaheim peppers, poblano peppers, banana peppers, and/or red sweet peppers, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces (1 cup)
- 2 cups cooked long-grain rice
- Ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons snipped cilantro
- In a Dutch oven cook half of the meat in hot oil until brown.
- Remove meat from Dutch oven.
- Add remaining meat, onion, and garlic and cook until meat is brown and onion is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Drain off fat if necessary.
- Return all meat to Dutch oven.
- Stir in undrained tomatoes, broth, oregano, and red pepper flakes.
- Simmer, covered, for 1 hour.
- Add chile peppers.
- Return to boiling, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Just before serving, stir in rice and heat through.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Sprinkle each serving with some cilantro.