Spicy Chipotle Chicken-Lentil Stew
- 2 cups sliced carrot
- 8 ounces skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 8 ounces skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup brown lentils, rinsed
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano, crushed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 14.5-ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 14.5-ounce can Italian-style stewed tomatoes, undrained and cut up
- 1 10-ounce can diced tomatoes and green chiles, undrained
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Avocado slices (optional)
- Plain fat-free yogurt (optional)
- In a slow cooker layer carrot, chicken, lentils, onion, chipotle peppers, chili powder, cumin, oregano, and garlic.
- Add broth, stewed tomatoes, and tomatoes and green chiles.
- Cover and cook on low for 10 hours or on high for 5 hours.
- Top each serving with cheese and avocado slices and yogurt.