Spicy Cheddar Shortbread
- 8 tablespoons cold butter, plus more for greasing the pan
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- Heat the oven to 400 F.
- Cut the stick of butter into chunks.
- Grease a baking sheet with more butter.
- Put all the ingredients in a food processor and pulse several times; as soon as the mixture resembles coarse meal, stop.
- Turn the dough onto a sheet of plastic, wrap it, and press it into a ball.
- Refrigerate the dough for at least 20 minutes or up to several hours.
- Pinch off heaping tablespoon-sized pieces of the dough and roll them into 1-inch balls.
- Put the balls on the prepared pan, leaving 2 inches between them.
- Press down on each ball to flatten it to 3/4 inch thick.
- If there is dough left over when the sheet is filled, wait and cook a second batch.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until the shortbreads are puffed and golden brown.
- When they are cool enough to handle, transfer them to a wire rack and bake the remaining dough.
- Serve right away or store covered at room temperature for up to 1 day.