Spanish-Style Lentils With Spinach
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound smoked chorizo, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika or 1/2 teaspoon crumbled saffron threads
- 1 cup dried brown lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup fruity red wine
- 2 cups water or chicken, beef, or vegetable stock, or more as needed
- 1 pound spinach, roughly chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Put the oil in a pot over medium heat.
- When hot, add the chorizo and onion.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft and the sausage begins to brown, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and paprika and continue to stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the lentils, bay leaves, wine, and water; raise the heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Adjust the heat so the mixture bubbles.
- Cover and cook, stirring occasionally and adding more water if necessary to keep the beans submerged, until the lentils are no longer crunchy but are still too firm to eat, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Fish out the bay leaves.
- Stir in the spinach, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and keep cooking until the lentils are fully tender, the spinach is wilted, and the mixture is saucy and thick, another 5 to 10 minutes.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Serve hot or warm.