Southwest Tomatillo-Tortilla Soup
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 6-inch corn tortillas, cut into thin strips
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 3 or 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 32-ounce carton chicken broth
- 12 ounces tomatillos, husks removed and cut into wedges (3 cups)
- 2 teaspoons finely shredded orange zest
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- Roasted red sweet peppers, cut into thin strips, and/or chopped tomatoes (optional)
- Ground black pepper
- Baked Tortilla Strips (optional)
- Sour cream and/or snipped cilantro (optional)
- In a large dry saucepan cook and stir cumin seeds over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove seeds.
- Add oil to saucepan and heat over medium heat.
- Add toasted cumin seeds, tortilla strips, red onion, and garlic and cook and stir for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add broth, tomatillos, orange zest, and orange juice and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in roasted peppers and/or tomatoes and heat through.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Garnish each serving with tortilla, sour cream, and/or cilantro.