South Indian-Ish Squash
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 10 curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon asafetida (optional)
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 1/2 small butternut squash, diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium zucchini, diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium yellow squash, diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 small Indian green chiles or serrano chiles, halved lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon red chile powder
- In a skillet over high heat, warm the oil.
- Once the oil begins to shimmer, add the black mustard seeds and remove the pan from the heat after a few seconds.
- Add the curry leaves, making sure they get fully coated in the oil.
- Return the pan to medium heat, add the turmeric and asafetida (if using), and stir to incorporate without breaking up the curry leaves.
- Add the onion and cook, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the butternut squash, zucchini, yellow squash, green chiles, and coriander and stir to combine.
- Spread the vegetables in an even layer in the pan, cover, and cook, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the salt, lime juice, and red chile powder and stir.
- Taste and adjust the lime juice, red chile powder, and salt, if needed, before serving.