- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 small green sweet pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 14.5-ounce cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 13- to 15-ounce jar spaghetti sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 ounces spaghetti, broken into 2-inch pieces
- Herb sprigs of your choice (optional)
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven cook meat, onion, sweet pepper, celery, carrot, and garlic over medium heat until vegetables are tender and meat is no longer pink, stirring frequently.
- Drain fat.
- Add remaining ingredients except spaghetti and herbs.
- Bring to boiling.
- Add broken spaghetti.
- Return to boiling.
- Reduce heat.
- Gently boil, uncovered, for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
- Top each serving with a herb sprig.