Shortcut Chhole (Chickpea And Tomato Stew)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 3 medium Roma tomatoes, diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 16-ounce can chickpeas, drained
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 cup full-fat plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro, for garnish
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, warm the oil.
- Once the oil begins to shimmer, add the cumin seeds and fenugreek and cook, stirring no more than 30 seconds.
- Add the turmeric, cloves, and cinnamon stick and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the onion and ginger and saute, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Increase the heat to high, add the tomatoes, and cook, 6 to 7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the chickpeas, lime juice, yogurt, and salt.
- Use a potato masher or the back of a fork to mash the chickpeas slightly so they become incorporated with the sauce.
- Cook, uncovered 20 to 25 minutes.
- Taste and adjust the salt if needed.
- Garnish with the cilantro before serving.