Shahi Toast (Cardamom Bread Pudding)
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Seeds from 4 green cardamom pods, crushed into a powder, or 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 5 slices white bread, crusts removed, each slice cut into 4 squares
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped pistachios, for garnish
- Coat the bottom of a pot or Dutch oven with 2 tablespoons water, then add the cream.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring continuously, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the sugar and cardamom, making sure the sugar has dissolved completely.
- Set aside.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, warm the oil.
- Once the oil begins to shimmer, reduce the heat to medium-low, add the bread, and cook, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Flip and cook, 4 to 6 minutes more.
- In a 9-inch square baking dish, arrange the pieces of bread in a single layer.
- Give the cardamom cream a stir to fully incorporate the sugar and cardamom, then pour the cream over the bread.
- Cover the dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight or for up to 12 hours.
- Just before serving, garnish with the pistachios.