Savory Vegetable Stew
- 2 cups cubed, peeled sweet potato
- 1 cup cubed, peeled red-skinned potato
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup cubed, peeled rutabaga
- 6 boiling onions, peeled
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1/2 cup chopped red and/or green sweet pepper (1 small)
- 1 15-ounce can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed and drained
- 1 6-ounce jar sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 14.5-ounce can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes, undrained and cut up
- 1 14.5-ounce can vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon quick-cooking tapioca, crushed
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup frozen cut green beans
- In a slow cooker combine potatoes, carrot, rutabaga, onions, celery, and sweet pepper.
- Stir in beans and mushrooms.
- In a bowl combine undrained tomatoes, broth, the water, tapioca, and Cajun seasoning.
- Pour over mixture in cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 to 9 hours or on high for 4 to 4 1/2 hours.
- Stir in frozen peas and green beans.
- Cover and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.