- 8 large bell peppers
- 2 to 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Heat the oven to 450 F or position the rack under the broiler 4 inches from the heat source and turn it to high.
- Put the peppers on a baking sheet lined with foil.
- Roast or broil, turning the peppers as each side browns, until they have darkened and collapsed, 15 to 20 minutes under the broiler, 50 to 60 minutes if roasting.
- Gather up the corners of the foil from the pan and tightly wrap the peppers.
- Cool for 15 minutes, then remove the skin, seeds, and stems.
- Serve the peppers within an hour, sprinkled with a pinch of salt and drizzled with 2 tablespoons olive oil, or more.