Roasted Cauliflower Soup
- 1 large head cauliflower, cut into florets (10 cups)
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, halved
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 14.5-ounce cans chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon snipped thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1 cup half-and-half or light cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- In a large roasting pan combine cauliflower, onion, and garlic.
- Drizzle with oil.
- Toss gently to coat.
- Spread vegetables in an even layer.
- Roast, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring once.
- In a Dutch oven combine roasted vegetables, broth, the water, bay leaf, and thyme.
- Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Discard bay leaf.
- Transfer vegetable mixture in batches to a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
- Return pureed mixture to saucepan.
- Stir in half-and-half, salt, and pepper.
- Heat through.