Roast Leg Of Lamb With Vegetables
- 1 bone-in leg of lamb
- 2 pounds waxy red or white potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 3 large or 4 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 2 onions, quartered
- 1/4 cup olive oil, or more as needed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oven to 425 F.
- Remove the thickest pieces of fat from the lamb's surface.
- Scatter the vegetables in the pan and drizzle with the oil.
- Put the meat on top; rub the meat all over with a generous sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- Roast the lamb for 30 minutes, then turn the heat down to 350 F.
- At the same time, check the vegetables; if they seem to be drying out, drizzle with a bit more oil.
- After another 30 minutes, start checking the internal temperature of the lamb.
- Continue to check every 10 minutes, spooning the pan juices over the vegetables to keep them moist.
- The total cooking time will be between 60 and 90 minutes, depending on the size of the roast.
- When the internal temperature at the thickest point is 125 F, the meat is still very rare, but it will heat up to 130 F as it rests.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let the meat rest for at least 5 minutes before carving.
- If the vegetables aren't done, return them to the oven for 5 to 10 more minutes.
- Serve slices with the vegetables and pan juices.