Rice Pudding In The Oven
- 1/3 cup any white rice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Pinch salt
- 4 cups milk
- Heat the oven to 300 F.
- Combine the rice, sugar, salt, and milk in a large gratin dish that holds at least 6 cups.
- Stir a couple of times and put it in the oven, uncovered.
- Bake for 30 minutes, then stir.
- Bake for 30 minutes longer, then stir again; the rice might be swelling up and the milk should begin to develop a bubbly skin.
- Cook until the rice plumps and starts to become a more noticeable part of the mixture and the skin becomes more visible and darker, 30 minutes more.
- Now the pudding is getting close to done, so check on it every 10 minutes, stirring each time.
- The rice should be really swollen and the milk thickened considerably but still pretty fluid.
- Serve warm, at room temperature, or cold.