- 1/2 gallon whole milk
- 1/2 cup dry white quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Seeds from 5 green cardamom pods, crushed into a powder, or 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped unsalted pistachios, for garnish
- Evenly coat the bottom of a pot or Dutch oven with 2 tablespoons water.
- Pour the milk into the pot and bring it to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat to low when bubbles start forming.
- Add the quinoa.
- Increase the heat to medium and cook, stirring continuously, for 15 minutes, then increase the heat to medium-high and cook, stirring continuously, for 30 to 35 minutes more.
- Stir in the sugar and cardamom and let the kheer cool to room temperature.
- Transfer to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight or for up to 12 hours.
- Garnish with the pistachios.