Quick Skillet Beans With Tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups frozen shelled lima beans or edamame
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano leaves for garnish, optional
- Put the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- When hot, add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion begins to soften, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and adjust the heat so the mixture bubbles.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes begin to break apart and look saucy, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add water, 2 tablespoons at a time, if the tomatoes ever look too dry.
- Stir in the beans and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cook until they are tender and hot all the way through, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt or pepper, sprinkle with the oregano, and serve.