Quick Pickle Spears
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar or sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 large or 3 medium cucumbers
- Put the vinegar, oil, garlic, salt, bay leaf, and 2 cups water in a pot and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Trim the tops and bottoms from the cucumbers and peel them.
- First cut them in half crosswise, then in half lengthwise.
- Cut each piece lengthwise into 3 spears.
- Once the liquid reaches a boil, add the cucumbers and remove from the heat.
- Let the cucumbers sit in the brine for 30 minutes; stir a few times to make sure all the cucumbers are submerged at least part of the time.
- To chill quickly, transfer the pickles and brine to the freezer and cool, stirring occasionally, until the cucumbers crisp a bit and are cold throughout, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Serve the pickles in their brine.