- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 flour tortillas (7 inches across)
- 1 cup grated cheddar or Jack cheese
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1 or 2 fresh jalapeno chiles, thinly sliced, optional
- 1 cup fresh tomato salsa for serving
- Heat the oven to 200 F.
- Put a wire rack on a baking sheet and set it in the middle of the oven.
- Put 1 tablespoon of the oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- When the oil is hot, put a tortilla in the skillet.
- Top with a quarter of the cheese, scallions, and chiles.
- Cook until the cheese begins to soften a bit and the tortilla turns golden, 3 to 5 minutes; then fold the tortilla in half.
- Flip and cook until the cheese is just melted and both sides are toasted, another minute or two.
- Transfer the quesadilla to the prepared baking sheet to keep warm.
- Repeat the process with the remaining tortillas and fillings, starting with heating the oil.
- Cut into wedges and serve with the salsa.