- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup corn flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup finely ground cornmeal
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Melt the butter in a 9-inch cast-iron skillet in the preheating oven, then set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the corn flour, all-purpose flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg, then whisk in the buttermilk, milk and pumpkin puree.
- Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry, stirring until well combined.
- Add almost all the melted butter from the skillet, leaving enough to coat the skillet, and then stir to combine.
- Pour the batter into the skillet and bake until lightly browned, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool a bit before serving.