Pumpkin, Chickpea, And Red Lentil Stew
- 1 pound pie pumpkin or winter squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 15-ounce can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed and drained
- 3 carrots, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup red lentils
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon gound black pepper
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup chopped peanuts
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Plain nonfat yogurt (optional)
- In a slow cooker combine all ingredients above up to peanuts.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours.
- Top each serving with peanuts, cilantro, and yogurt.