Pumpkin, Barley, And Sage Soup
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 8 ounces cooked andouille or smoked sausage links, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped onion (1 small)
- 1 tablespoon snipped sage
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 teaspoon instant chicken bouillon granules
- 1 15-ounce can pumpkin
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- Ground black pepper
- In a Dutch oven heat oil over medium heat.
- Add sausage, onion, and sage and cook for 3 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the water, barley, and bouillon granules and simmer, covered, for 12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in pumpkin, maple syrup, and vinegar.
- Heat through.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.