Provencal Seafood Stew
- 4 jumbo shrimp
- 8 ounces cod fillet (or other firm-fleshed fish), cut into 4 pieces
- 12 mussels in shells (8 ounces), cleaned
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 14.5-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes in puree
- 1 8-ounce bottle clam juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon snipped thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon finely shredded orange zest
- Thyme sprigs (optional)
- Peel and devein shrimp.
- Rinse shrimp, cod, and mussels and pat dry.
- In a saucepan cook onion, garlic, and allspice in hot oil over medium-high heat 5 minutes.
- Press tomatoes and their juices through a fine-mesh sieve.
- Discard pulp and seeds.
- Add tomato mixture, clam juice, salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes to the saucepan and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Stir in snipped thyme and orange zest.
- Add mussels, shrimp, and cod to saucepan.
- Gently stir to combine.
- Return to boiling, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 3 minutes or until mussel shells open, shrimp are opaque, and fish flakes easily when tested with a fork.
- Discard any mussels that do not open.
- Serve in shallow bowls and garnish each serving with thyme sprigs.