- 16 tablespoons butter, softened, plus more for greasing the pan
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Heat the oven to 325 F.
- Grease a loaf pan with butter.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
- Use an electric mixer to cream the butter in a bowl until it's smooth.
- Add 3/4 cup of the sugar and beat until it's well blended, then add the remaining sugar and beat until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time.
- Add the vanilla and beat until blended.
- Stir in the dry ingredients by hand until the mixture is smooth; don't mix it too much and don't use the electric mixer.
- Transfer the batter to the loaf pan and smooth out the top.
- Bake for 1 to 1 1/4 hours, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let the cake rest in the pan for 5 to 10 minutes before inverting onto a rack.
- Remove the pan, then turn the cake right side up.
- Cool before slicing.
- Serve warm or store at room temperature, wrapped in wax paper, for several days.