Potato And White Bean Chowder
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1/2 cup sliced green onion
- 2 tablespoons snipped herbs or 3/4 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning, crushed
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups water
- 2 medium potato, peeled and chopped (2 cups)
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini (white kidney) beans, rinsed and drained
- Ground nutmeg
- Coat an unheated nonstick saucepan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Heat over medium heat.
- Add green onion, dried Italian seasoning (if using), and garlic to hot saucepan and cook until green onion is tender.
- Add the water, potato, carrot, salt, and pepper and simmer, covered, 12 minutes.
- Do not drain.
- Slightly mash potato and carrot with a fork or potato masher.
- In a mason jar combine milk and flour.
- Cover and shake well.
- Stir milk mixture into potato mixture.
- Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in herbs (if using) and beans.
- Cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Sprinkle individual servings with nutmeg.