Pesarattu (Lentil Pancakes)
- 1 cup split green mung beans
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 small Indian green chile or serrano chile, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 15 curry leaves, torn into 2 or 3 pieces each
- 1/2 medium red onion, finely diced
- In a bowl, soak the mung beans in 2 cups water overnight.
- Drain and rinse the mung beans, then transfer them to a blender and add the ginger, salt, green chile, and 1 cup water.
- Blend into a batter.
- Transfer the batter to a bowl.
- In a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, warm 2 teaspoons of the oil.
- Once the oil begins to shimmer, pour 1/3 cup of the batter into the skillet, spreading it out to make a thin, 7- to 8-inch pancake.
- Sprinkle a few curry leaf pieces and 2 teaspoons of the onion over the top of the pancake.
- Reduce the heat to medium and cook the pancake, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Flip the pancake and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Flip the pancake one more time and cook for another minute.
- Sprinkle the finished pancake with salt, then transfer to a plate.
- Repeat with the remaining batter, curry leaves, and onion, adding 2 teaspoons oil to the pan each batch.