Peruvian Shrimp Chowder
- 8 ounces fresh or frozen flounder fillets (2 medium)
- 8 ounces fresh or frozen peeled and deveined medium shrimp
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 14-ounce can vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 12 ounces potatoes, scrubbed and cubed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Dash bottled hot pepper sauce
- 1 3-ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups frozen whole-kernel corn
- Thaw flounder and shrimp, if frozen.
- Rinse fish and shrimp and pat dry.
- Cut flounder into bite-size pieces.
- In a Dutch oven cook onion and garlic in hot oil over medium heat for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Turn heat down as needed to prevent onions from overbrowning.
- Stir in undrained tomatoes, broth, the water, potatoes, Creole seasoning, red pepper flakes, and hot pepper sauce.
- Simmer, covered, 15 to 20 minutes.
- In bowl beat cream cheese with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until smooth.
- Gradually beat in milk on low speed until mixture is very smooth.
- Add flounder, shrimp, cream cheese mixture, and corn to soup.
- Return to boiling, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 3 to 5 minutes.