- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion, cut into thin lengthwise strips
- 6 sweet peppers, cut into thin strips
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook for about 3 minutes, until they start to soften.
- Toss in the peppers, sugar, herb sprigs, salt and pepper and stir until everything is well coated.
- Place a lid on pan and reduce the heat to low.
- Allow the vegetables to sweat, stirring occasionally, for about 30 minutes, until they are very soft.
- Take the lid off the pan and raise the heat to medium.
- Cook off the excess liquid, which will take about 3 more minutes.
- Stir in the balsamic vinegar and remove from the heat.
- Pluck out the rosemary and thyme twigs.