Peanutty Chicken Kebabs
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, plus more for greasing
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 2 limes, quartered, for serving
- Prepare 4 long or 8 short skewers.
- Soak in warm water while preparing the chicken.
- Cut the meat into 1 1/2-inch chunks.
- For the marinade, put the onion in a food processor or blender along with the garlic, 2 tablespoons of the cilantro, the lime zest and juice, oil, soy sauce, cayenne, peanut butter, and a pinch of salt.
- Puree the mixture until relatively smooth, adding a few drops of water if necessary to keep the machine moving.
- Put the chicken in a bowl, pour the marinade over it, and cover it with plastic wrap.
- Let it sit for at least a few minutes or up to an hour at room temperature or refrigerate it for up to 12 hours.
- When ready to cook, prepare a grill or turn on the broiler; medium-high and the rack 4 inches from the heat source.
- Grease a large baking sheet with some oil.
- Thread the chicken onto the skewers, leaving space between pieces.
- To grill, put the kebabs on the grates directly over the fire.
- To broil, put them on the prepared pan under the heat.
- Cook, turning once or twice with tongs, until the chicken is cooked through, 12 to 15 minutes total.
- To check for doneness, cut into a piece.
- Garnish with the remaining 2 tablespoons cilantro and serve with the lime wedges.